One thing about the web: no good idea goes un-copied. At least not for long.
No sooner did the major search engines admit that they were including “social signals” in their ranking algorithm then did Google announce their own social signaling device the +1 button. In order to see it you have to be logged into Google and doing a search. Next to the search results you will see a small +1 button in a grayed out state. It appears between the keyword line of the search results and the little magnifying glass icon to preview the page, an idea the copied from Bing.
You can rest assured that if someone +1’s your page in their search results that this will be considered a “vote” by Google’s algorithm as to the importance of your site and that, cumulatively, this will improve your ranking for that term and for you site in general.
In fact they just announced that, similarly to the Like button, there will soon be +1’s for web sites to use as well. Read about Google +1 for websites at Mashable.
Here is what Google has to say about their own +1 campaign.
The web in general, and Search Engine Optimization in particular, changes at a rapid pace. We pay attention to emerging trends and technologies so that you don’t have to. One call does it all!
- Earned Media, The Ongoing Challenge Of Value Creation, And The Future Of Internet Marketing - March 20, 2014
- Sean Sloan: contributing author to a book! - December 7, 2013
- Free Online Photo Editing Site - May 31, 2013
- Career Day at Douglas MacArthur Middle School - May 22, 2013
- Happy Holidays 2012 - December 21, 2012
- Develop in haste, repent at leisure… - November 10, 2012
- I like shiny, blinky things… in the dark! - September 14, 2012
- Small Business Video Production Packages - September 3, 2012
- Mobile Websites and Marketing: a quick look at the Mobile Ecosystem - August 30, 2012
- Google+ Has a New Interface… - April 13, 2012